Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

3.11.2009

Parenting conundrum #2- more on topic

Another thing that has been bothering me today- Plastic. I hate it as much as the next crunchy parent. However, with two children who are the only grandchildren on BOTH sides of the family, with lovingly doting grandmothers and three similarly spoiling aunts (one of whom I know will read this- sorry Branna!), I find it impossible to avoid plastic. Not because I buy it, but because they do, and (contrary to what they may think) I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I buy fabric and wood myself for my children, not to mention trying to follow the whole "less is more" thing with toys. But despite this, I have a six foot shelf full of plastic toys (plus more in Izzy's room). Then, of course, I'm not going to throw anything away. Not only would that hurt the feelings of the giver, but it would be wasteful. Similarly, if I were to donate/give away most of the toys I would only cause tension. *sigh* I try to content myself with the combination of toys that my children get to play with- both the awful plastic and the better fabric and wood toys. But it still bothers me. And I have tried to make my preferences known, but as the crazy eccentric member of the family everyone usually ignores me!

However, I do have to give kudos to my grandmothers, whom I adore with every ounce of my being (and who, unfortunately, will likely never read this blog post because they aren't huge into tech, although one does have a computer!). Grandma Doris doesn't give my kids presents, and for this she has my thanks- she says (and I 100% agree with her) that kids get enough stuff and she doesn't need to add to it. Instead she gives them savings bonds. And Grandma V (whose last name no longer starts with a V, but we can't seem to change what we call her!), who does get my kids gifts, got Izzy the most adorable little FABRIC cake set for this past Christmas. She loves it, of course, and so do I!

2 comments:

Brianna said...

Just to defend myself... I don't buy your kids toys, just clothes, and of course, they aren't plastic, and most of the time are from Once Upon A Child. Second, I bought Ollie a rattle and it was cloth. K, I'm done.

Betsy said...

I've started being pretty upfront about what we "need" (or, rather, what the kids "need" for any given occasion). I've also taken toys to the granpdarents' houses--then my kids have something to play with there, it's a gift that the grandparent probably picked out and they can enjoy it together, and they get firsthand knowledge of why little electronic noises are not welcome in my house....

Like your new look--haven't "visited" in a while.... I'm updating bookmarks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...