Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

2.11.2010

Just wanted to share this...

If you haven't already sworn off commercial cleaning products (and I don't understand why anyone wouldn't) you should check this out. It's the trailer for a documentary about how toxic commercial cleaners are and how easy and cheap it is to make safer ones at home.

Chemerical

I'm going to see if I can find this DVD. I already make my own cleaners, of course, but I like to learn:)

Also, if you don't already "make" your own cleaners don't be intimidated by it. People always refer to "making" their own cleaning supplies, but rarely do I ever actually make anything and when I do it's a simple mixture. Your basic supplies are white vinegar, baking soda, non-toxic dish soap and/or castille soap (like Dr. Bronner's), and Borax (which I rarely use).

In a spray bottle (I suggest one for the kitchen and one for each bathroom) mix 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar, and a few drops of essential oil (if you want, mostly for scent).

To clean the sink: sprinkle with baking soda and spray with with vinegar mixture. Scrub and rinse.

To clean windows/mirrors: spray with vinegar mixture and wipe (best wipe- old newspaper!)

To mop floors: a tiny bit of dish soap or castille soap is all I ever use in really hot water. Vinegar could also be used instead.

To clean the toilet: I follow flylady's recommendation to "swish and swipe" in my bathroom every morning. I squirt a little diluted soap into the toilet and quickly swish it around with a toilet brush. Then I spray the counter and mirror with my vinegar and swipe it all. It takes about a minute and my bathroom is always clean. Doing this prevents buildup from accumulating on your toilet, also, which keeps you from having to use stronger cleaners.

And that covers most of the things I usually clean. If something's super crusty, I use more baking soda and possibly let it sit. For anything involving hard water I soak with some vinegar. I don't really understand why I used to think I needed so many cleaning supplies.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...