Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

1.21.2011

I. Hate. February.

I do, and it kind of feels like it's starting early this year. Today and yesterday I have just been unnecessarily cranky and irritable. Everything my kids do has me on edge. Everything my husband says makes me want to throw things- and heaven forbid he touch me. Yes, I have seasonal affective disorder. I have it bad. I have gotten it every winter for as long as I can remember (which means since junior high). When we lived in SoCal it was minor every year thanks to the warmer climate, but I was still always a little down in February (SoCal's rainy season). But I have to say that this year it seems to have kind of waylaid me very suddenly.



You see, I thought I could head it off this year, so to speak. I've been eating a more nourishing whole food diet including lots of healthy fats and probiotics, taking cod liver oil, and exercising regularly. I've been keeping myself busy with garden planning and blogging and all the other daily stuff I have to do. But two nights ago it was like I was suddenly hit with a ton of bricks- I thought I was coming down with something, so I rested. Then yesterday morning I woke up and knew what was wrong.

So I'm trying to deal with it. I'm going to try to get outside more (as much as I HATE the cold), up my vitamin D intake, and make sure I get a little extra "me" time. Because this sucks, but mostly it isn't fair to my kids. I am ashamed to admit how many times I (figuratively) bit their heads off this morning when they didn't really deserve it.

Anyone else dealing with this right now? What do you do that seems to help?

2 comments:

Kendra said...

I totally agree, I hate February. Birthday and all, I wouldn't mind if we skipped it. And especially after our conversation yesterday I got to thinking more about what I do to combat the winter blues. I think a big key for me is to sweat. I know you're doing really good about keeping up your workout routine, so kudos to you for that. I just realized that this is probably the sole reason why I'm more successful at sticking to a workout routine through the winter months. We also started bowling in a league last week, which is actually a lot of fun, even if it is me and a bunch of men. It's just something to look forward to. I also try to listen to more upbeat music, soak in as much sunlight as possible, even if it is just opening the window shades all the way.

Brianna said...

I know I'm the one that is supposed to know all of this health/body/medical stuff but heres something to research- try to find a antagonist to melatonin. It is produced WAY more in the winter (because of lack of sunlight, among other things) and makes you way tired. I have some serious SAD as well, and in the past I (hate to say it) tanned when I hit this point and it helped a ton. But its funny, Esbon doesn't have an Ashley Lynn's Tanning Salon yet. I'll work on that with my Starbucks and 24 hr fitness.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...