Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

2.20.2011

Ain't Nothin' Bringin' Me Down.

I may have mentioned a couple (hundred) times that I don't like snow.  But I've never actively glared at it until today.

The past two weeks the temperature here in MN has been in the upper thirties to the mid forties, and much of the snow we had accumulated over this cold, wet winter had melted.  I could see about 1/4 of my yard again.  It was a big deal.  I love cold weather just a little more than I love snow, yet even I have spent a great deal of time outside these past few weeks.  Of course, forty feels pretty darn warm after temps consistently being in the single digits (and below) for two months.  I was beginning to feel the hope of spring.

But mother nature was just teasing me, apparently.  Or, to look at it more positively, she was giving me a little glimmer of hope to get me through the rest of this winter.  Either way, we're in a blizzard warning right now, and the warning is beginning to look warranted.  The snow is falling fast, the wind is blowing, and we can barely see the highway less than 100 yards away.

Boo.

But I've got better things to do than sit here and shoot resentful looks at the snow.  Spring will come eventually even if it snows from now until April, and I've got things to do, plans to make.  I'm still working on the layout and construction plans for my chicken coop and yard- I bought the materials to install another window in the shed yesterday (I'm going to do my best to remember to take pictures of the process- it should be interesting as I've never installed a window before, and my previous construction experience is limited to the wall shelf I built in junior high and the coat hangers I built last winter) and to add to the "chicken shelf" that I plan to build to add to the square footage of the building.

I have more peppers to germinate, now that the ones I planted last weekend are starting to pop up (!!!!!).

I have a garden to finish planning, and I need to make a list of the remaining materials I need- my spending total for garden so far is $345, and I don't want to go too much over $400 (which is roughly my grocery budget), so the rest is going to have to be spent very carefully.  I still need trellises for my peas and beans and I will need more support for my tomatoes (and am thinking of supporting my peppers as it may have helped last year, but hopefully won't need it this year), supplemental compost (since I don't have enough of my own- this may end up being my biggest cost), apricot trees and blueberry bushes, and trellises... lots and lot of trellises.

So forget you, snow!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...