Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

2.25.2011

Forget Chicken Noodle...

Not completely out of nowhere, Oliver asked me for "eggy chicken soup" this morning.

Backstory- he woke up sick at about 2am this morning.  I'm not easily freaked out, but he managed it fairly well.  I woke up to him gasping, crying, and kind of weakly coughing.  It sounded like he was having trouble breathing.  In retrospect I think it was just the combo of crying from general misery with a little congestion.  So I held him until he was calm so I could hear his actual breathing, and it was still pretty yuck.  I laid with him in my bed and listened to him breath- he kept starting to gasp, and I was THIS close to ripping Izzy out of bed and taking him to the ER (did I mention my husband is out of town?).  Then I realized that I had an inhaler sitting right there on his dresser that I should probably try before truly loosing my mind.  I gave him three puffs, he coughed wetly a few times, and seemed to improve.  But then he got jittery.  Yes, I know, albuterol makes one jittery.  But he was asleep, so it looked freaky.  I laid there with my hand on his little chest and it felt like his heart was beating way too fast and hard (yes, I also know young children have faster heartbeats...AND that it was probably in part due to the albuterol).  Let's just say I didn't get much sleep.

And he's not even that sick- he's got a low fever and is a little gunky sounding.  But he's not even coughing today- right now he's asleep on the couch and even laying down he's not coughing.  Just lethargic and warm.

Back to the soup- he asked for lunch at like 10.  I told him I would make him lunch soon, but we had to get sister from preschool first.  Then I asked him what he wanted to eat for lunch.  He said something completely ridiculous (he may have said chocolate kisses, I don't remember).  I told him "you can't eat that for lunch, that won't make you feel better.  Chicken soup will help you feel better.  Or eggs if you'd rather have eggs."

Enter eggy soup comment.  The boy loves eggs, he loves soup, and he loves silliness (hence the comment).  Little did he know that eggy soup is a real thing, in egg drop soup.

So I started looking at egg drop soup recipes and thinking.  When I normally make "sick" chicken noodle soup (the soup isn't sick... you know what I mean) I use Kluski noodles.  They're 100% white flour, which is usually a big no-no in this house.  For me it's a comfort thing- they're the noodles my mom used usually, and they remind me of the noodles in that awful canned soup I ate as a child.  Eggs are a much more healthful ingredient than white flour noodles.  Make the egg drop soup with homemade chicken stock, some fresh ginger, grated carrots, green onions, and parsley and garnish with a little raw soy sauce and you have a super soup.  Even more super than my regular soup.

So I whipped some up for Oliver.  After looking at a few recipes I threw this together:

Egg Drop Soup 
  • 3 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
  • 2 or 3 green onions 
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 2 tsp. fresh minced ginger
  • 1 packet gelatin (optional)
  • fresh or dried parsley, to taste
  • 2 eggs 
  • soy sauce, for serving
 Simmer the onions and carrot in the stock, then add the garlic, ginger, and gelatin.  After a few minutes add the parsley.  Beat the two eggs in a small bowl until well mixed.  Then drizzle the egg slowly into the boiling stock.  When all the egg has been "dropped" turn off he heat and serve!

Tada!  More healthy soup.

So, I though I put this post up on Wednesday... but apparently I didn't.  Here it is!  And the very next day Nourishing Days posted this awesome healing soup recipe that kind of made mine look wimpy- I'll be trying this one the next time there's illness in this house!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...