Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

2.09.2011

My kitchen staples

A long time ago I posted about my household staples.  I thought some might also find it helpful to see a list of my kitchen staples- the things that I almost always have on hand.
My pantry in California.

Baking Stuffs:
  • all purpose flour- I buy this in 25lb bags at Sam's or when I can find it for $1 or less per $5lb bag.  I rarely bake anything with ALL white flour, but some recipes benefit from a mixture of AP and whole wheat.
  • whole wheat flour- store this in the freezer so it doesn't go rancid.  I'm phasing this out and replacing it with...
  • wheat-  yes, I said wheat.  I have wanted to grind my own wheat for my bread for over a year and a half, but the cost of having wheat shipped is high due to it's bulk and weight.  Now it turns out that the Walmart near my sister's house in KC carries Wheat Montana Prairie Gold and Bronze Cheif 25lb bags.  It was under $13 for 25lbs- this is cheaper per lb than whole wheat flour, and it's much healthier if you grind it fresh yourself (I have a mill already...)***
  • spelt- I'm out right now, but I'm about to get more.
  • oat groats- I've recently decided I'm not going to buy oatmeal, since I finally tried out the flaker mill I bought with my flour mill last year.
  • brown sugar- this is my least frequently used sweetener, but I still keep it on hand for baked goods where I don't want to use the more expensive sweeteners.
  • maple syrup- I buy it locally when I can.
  • honey- bought locally also
  • baking powder
  • baking soda
  • yeast- I buy this in bulk from Sam's.
  • kosher salt
  • organic (palm) shortening
  • cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil
  • light olive oil
  • powdered milk- not the healthiest milk, but I use it in baked goods only.
  • Pretty much every spice and seasoning known to man.  I buy most of the regularly used ones in bulk (minced garlic, minced onion, chili powder, onion powder, cinnamon, parsley, bay leaves, peppercorns...). 
Dried Goods:
  • various whole grain pastas
  • dried kidney beans
  • dried great northern beans
  • dried black beans
  • split peas
  • lentils (green and sometimes red)
  • white rice
  • brown rice (kept in the freezer)
  • couscous
  • popcorn
Dairy:
  • sour cream
  • milk
  • heavy cream
  • butter
Canned and other sundry stuff:
  • canned tomatoes (diced and diced with green chilies)
  • tomato sauce
  • tomato paste
  • canned tuna
  • canned fruit (it is our "backup" fruit- we eat fresh 99.9% of the time)
  • dried fruit- usually raisins, craisins, and apricots.
  • vinegars- apple cider, rice, balsamic, and champagne, and red wine (this is probably overkill)
  • peanut butter
Besides meat and fresh and frozen produce, (and random unimportant refrigerated condiments... okay, the curry paste is important) the list above constitutes about 98% of the food in my house, and I can make just about anything with that list.

Coming soon: a list of my basic recipes (or links to them), including biscuits, super easy hearth bread, baked brown rice, pancakes (soaked) and pancake mix (unsoaked).

***Can I just say how frustrating it is that I live in a farming community but am not able to buy wheat in bulk locally.  That says so very much about what is wrong with our food system.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...