Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

2.03.2011

Review: Alice.com vs Soap.com

I know I've already talked a lot about Soap.com. But after my last post a diligent agent from Alice.com commented that I should really check them out and give them another chance, and that they carry a wide variety of green products.

So I approached the project with an open, scientific mind.  Here's the skinny on each site.

Alice.com starts out by asking you what products you regularly use in your home and who lives in your home (no specifics, just age group and gender I believe). They use this information to roughly calculate what you need and how long it will last. Then they remind you when you may be running out of something. I definitely think this is a handy feature, especially for an online site that specializes in everyday household items that people have historically bought locally. Because if I ordered a bunch of stuff and forgot to order one thing I really needed, necessitating a trip to the store ANYWAY, I may get frustrated. They offer free shipping on all orders. And I like the site's interface- it's attractive and easy to navigate.

But my positives end there. I made a chart of all the household items I use already. The items I use are: 7th Generation toilet paper, Nature's Way Coconut Oil, Rockin' Green laundry detergent, Ecover fabric softener, Now Foods Multivitamins (kids), Giovanni Tea Tree Oil shampoo and conditioner, Tom's of Maine Deodorant, Speed Stick (for Hubby), Nordic Natural's Cod Liver Oil soft gels, Palmolive Pure + Clear dish soap, California Baby shampoo and wash, Dr. Bronner's liquid soap, EO hand soap, and tea tree essential oil. Of those 15 items Alice.com carried....

...drumroll please...

5. Only five of the products I use on a daily basis are available on Alice. I'm able to buy all 15 locally if I'm willing to drive to a few stores.

Soap.com, on the other hand, carries all but the California Baby shampoo and wash and the essential oil. And of the few items carried by both sites, soap.com had the lower price.

So it's a pretty easy choice for me. Soap.com is the easy winner. The only drawback of site is that they only offer free shipping on orders over $35. However, I can't really foresee myself spending less than that, so it's not really an issue.

I encourage you to check both sites, though, and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your honest review. Yours in the only review of Alice.com I could find that didn't appear to be paid for by the company. I also buy eco-friendly products and was looking for an alternative to Amazon.com for the few products they don't carry. Thanks again for your HONEST review.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...