Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

2.01.2011

Spinach and Artichoke Crepes

I have mentioned in the the past that I love Ikea. The last time I was there Izzy and I stopped at the cafeteria for lunch and I had a new item on the menu- spinach crepes. They were alright, but obviously missing something. As I was eating them I remembered the artichoke dip I had made at both Thanksgiving and Christmas. This dip is amazing... but that's another post. Then I started thinking about the contrast in the dip between the slightly acidic artichokes, the creamy cheese, and the savory garlic. That was what the crepes were missing- acid.

So I came up with this recipe. It's my first 100% self made recipe (all my others are adapted from existing recipes).

Spinach and Artichoke Crepes

For Crepes:
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
  • Butter, for coating the pan

For Filling:
  • 1 T. Butter or oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 cups frozen chopped spinach
  • 1 can artichoke hearts, chopped
  • 1 cup mozzerella cheese
  • Parmesan cheese, to taste (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Put all of the crepe ingredients into a blender and pulse until blended. Let the batter stand for the bubbles to settle out while you cook the filling.

For the filling, melt the 1 T. of butter in a pan and sauté until transparent. Add spinach and garlic and cook until spinach is hot and most of the water has evaporated. Let stand while you cook the crepe shells.

Heat a medium non-stick frying pan over medium high heat. Grease the pan lightly with butter, then pour one oz. of batter into the pan (you could use a shot glass... I just guessed, but it's harder than it looks) and VERY QUICKLY tilt the pan around in circles until the batter has covered the bottom of the pan. Cook the crepe for 30 seconds, then flip and cook for another 10 seconds. Stack the crepes on a plate or cutting board to cool. Fill each shell with filling and the cheese (add parmesean if you want) and place in an 8 x 10 pan. Bake the crepes for 25-30 minutes or until they are heated through and the cheese is melted.

I thought these were really good for a simple, meatless dinner. In the future I might make a simple sauce to go over them, though.

Check out this and other money saving recipes at the $5 Dinner Challenge!

2 comments:

emily lipson said...

How many crepes does this recipe yield?

Brandislee said...

Honestly, I don't remember... it was enough to feed my family of 4 with some leftovers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...