Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

2.25.2011

Wheat Free Soaked Maple Scones

When we first discovered that Oliver was allergic to wheat it was a struggle. I didn't know what to give him as a starch other than rice. I was at a loss.

Of course, that was when my food allergy research started and I was turned on to Nourishing Traditions, Weston A. Price, and the like. Every cloud has a silver lining, right? And I think that, had I come across any of that information during any earlier period of my life I would have at worst written them off as crazy talk and at best tried it for a while before loosing motivation and giving up.

This was one of the first recipes I came up with on my own during that period (and one of the few that really turned out well). It is a tad higher in sugar than NT would recommend, but they are great as an occasional treat (or made with less maple syrup).

But I'm not just posting this recipe now for the fun of it. Kitchen Stewardship is putting together an ebook of soaked and sprouted grain recipes, and this is my addition to the mix. As soon as she has it put together I will hook everyone up (and I can't wait!).

so here it is...

Maple Oat Scones

1 3/4 cup whole ground spelt (you could use wheat flour)
1 cup fresh rolled or cut oats
1/2 cup room temperature butter (I don't recommend subbing coconut oil as the melting point is too low and the scones will spread during baking)
1/4-1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup warm water with 2 tablespoons whey or Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup chopped soaked and dried pecans (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda

In a non reactive bowl mix the ground spelt, oats, butter, maple syrup, water, and whey or vinegar. I use my kitchenaid then transfer the mixture to a glass bowl. The mixture should be wet and sticky like a biscuit dough- if it seems dry add more water. Allow the mixture to soak, covered, overnight (at least 8 hours) at room temperature.

The next morning (or 8 hours later) preheat the oven to 400 degrees and mix in the optional pecans,  salt, and baking soda. The dough should be stiff but still sticky. Drop spoonfuls of dough (about biscuit sized) onto a sheet pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

Enjoy! And be sure to check out Kitchen Stewardship and all her grain soaking info this month!

1 comment:

mari said...

so excited to try this and so happy to find more resources on soaking grains. i'm getting tired of my same-ol' same ol'. thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...