Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

6.29.2011

Make It Yourself Monday: Bug Repellant Spray

No, it isn't Monday.  I will be starting the actual "Make it Yourself Monday" series next monday, but I felt that this particular DIY was one that people would appreciate, like, NOW.  The bugs here in Minnesota are just now beginning to become unbearable, but I went down to Nebraska to visit my parents last weekend, and while I was there I thought it would be fun to take Izzy for a walk along the creek I used to play by.  We were eaten alive.

I didn't have my homemade bug spray with me.  It helps a ton, and there are no harmful chemicals, only an herbal base and some essential oils.  So here it is, my simple recipe for safe bug spray:



Homemade Bug Repellant Spray:
Makes about 6 oz
Ingredients:
  •   6 oz. Witch Hazel (found at all drug stores)
  • 1/2 tsp. cedarwood essential oil
  • 1/2 tsp. lavendar essential oil
  • 1/2 tsp. tea tree essential oil
  • 1 tsp. citronella essential oil
  • 20 drops eucalyptus essential oil
Equipment:
  • 6-8 oz. spray bottle
Measure all ingredients into the spray bottle and shake.  That's it!  Shake well before use each time, and apply as needed.  Natural bug repellant isn't going to last as long as commercial chemical bug spray, but think of all the pesticides and chemicals you ARE NOT exposing yourself and your family to.

I hope you join me on Monday for my next Make it Yourself post!

4 comments:

Mommy Set Free said...

As I sit here with charcoal paste on one bite and bentanite clay paste on another "mystery rash" from my last wild crafting expedition in the South field...I am thinking..you know what...an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! :-)I hope to try you spray next week. Thanks for sharing!

Brandislee said...

Let me know how those remedies work. I'm lucky on the rash front- NOTHING makes me break out in rash (knock on wood...) not poison oak, not poison ivy, sting weed makes me itch for like a minute after I touch it.... But the bugs make up for it. Another plus about the bug spray is that a few of the ingredients work to treat bites, as well, so in a pinch you could put it on bites to relieve the itch. I have a more concentrated lavender/witch hazel mix I use to treat bites as well, and I was thinking about trying my complete tissue salve for bites.

Janeen said...

Thank you so much for the recipe! I cannot wait to make it and I already have 1/2 the oils at home! I hate using bug spray on me let alone the kids and this stuff I don't mind using at all! Thanks again.

Kimmers3 said...

I'm allergic to lavender. Do you know how well it would work without it? We're headed to VA to a camping family reunion next week and I am dreading the bug bites we are sure to get.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...