Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

6.23.2011

Strawberries and Mustard... not together, I promise!

 The kids and I went strawberry picking yesterday.  I am kicking myself now for not taking my (borrowed) super awesome camera, but I have never been good about remembering to grab the camera before leaving the house.  The camera phone is now my friend, but I didn't even take that.  The kids, of course, loved it... for the first ten minutes.  Then it was a race to see how many berries I could get picked before Oliver caused irreparable destruction to the U-pick field (actually, that's not fair to him- he was really well behaved, especially compared to the other kids there who were tearing the place up and eating strawberries left and right, which may or may not have been against the rules... I'm not sure, but to me, it is the same as stealing, or eating grapes out of the bag before you pay for it, and I don't allow my kids to do it...).  We came home with a little over 14 pounds of strawberries.

That's a lot of berries, and we all know strawberries don't keep well, so it was time for me to get busy.  This is not my first batch of strawberry jam this summer, BUT it is my first batch of "good" jam.  Because the last batch I used the old reliable stand by- Sure Jell and WAY too much sugar.  Blech.  This time I followed the Classic, old fashioned recipe in one of my favorite books (more on that to come...) that only calls for Straberries, sugar of choice (but I can't bring myself to use honey to put up yet... I pay a pretty price for that blessed stuff!), and a little lemon juice.  I'll post the recipe when I talk about the book (but it's pretty simple).

But don't you worry, I won't leave you with nothing.  I also made ketchup, barbeque sauce, and mustard today.    Lacto Fermented condiments made using REAL food ingredients are far superior in both nutrition and taste to their supermarket counterparts.  I like to keep them on hand, but I had gotten behind so today I played, well, ketchup (get it...ah, it's pretty sad how funny I think I am...).  The ketchup and barbeque are from the fantabulous Get Cultured Ecourse from Jenny at The Nourished Kitchen.  The mustard recipe is all mine... so here it is!

Super Awesome Spicy Mustard (it's not that spicy, don't worry)

2/3 c. whole mustard seeds
4 T. ground mustard
1 c. raw apple cider vinegar

Combine preceding ingredients and allow to soak overnight.  The next day, combine in a small saucepan:

1 c. dark beer or hard cider
2 T. brown sugar or maple syrup
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 T. turmuric
1 tsp. salt

...and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 5 minutes, turn off heat, and allow to cool to room temperature.  Mix with the mustard mixture and allow to sit at room temperature for at least 24 hours.  I did not add any starter culture to this round (other than the raw vinegar), but I plan to next time... I was really short on "starter" since I haven't been straining my yogurt lately and my sauerkraut was really short on liquid, and what little I had I used in the ketchup and barbeque sauce.  If you try it out, let me know how it goes!

And don't forget to check out the Simple Living Blog Hop over at GNOWFLINS!

1 comment:

Candace said...

I have been wondering when you were going to pop up again! I can't wait to get into making jams (or is it jelly???)!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...