Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

6.29.2011

Weeds and Roosters

There is a lot going on here on the farm right now.  For starters, I have some big news.  HUGE.  I'm talking almost as big as Wardeh finding her first garden cucumbers (what, you don't get that excited when you find cukes?  cause I do!).

Ready?

Dinner (the rooster) crowed this morning.

Dinner, our Wyandotte rooster and the first to crow.
 It was pretty exciting.  But the excitement was mingled with anxiety- we have close neighbors (like town close), and I have been worrying a little about this moment for the last few weeks.  I would love to keep a rooster, but I won't if they bother my neighbors.  I don't want to be that guy, and I've been on the other side of this type of situation before.  I have needed to sleep during the day because I worked at night, and I've had an infant who was both very sensitive to sounds  and difficult to get to sleep.  It sucks to have inconsiderate neighbors (who rev their motorcycle engines directly below your apartment window at midnight, or allow their car alarm to go off at all hours of the night EVERY night), and I won't be that guy.  This was exactly the reason that I distributed notes to the neighbors including my plan to keep chickens and my phone number, so that if anyone has a problem they don't hesitate to let me know.

In other news, my garden is growing like gangbusters.  It's almost simply amazing to look at.  I say almost because the veggies aren't the only things growing faster than I can keep up with:
My weed patch, I mean pathway.
The weeds.  In all my planting and keeping up with the weeds in the bed (which I haven't really successfully done) I have neglected the pathways in the old part of the garden.  Now they are nice and grassy.  I need to get them covered and mulched SOON.  Actually I need to mulch the ENTIRE garden ASAP, other than the two and a half pathways I did earlier and the few beds (tomatoes, melons, and peppers) that are mulched with plastic.  I also still have a ton of herbs that I still need to plant out.  You'd think I'd be done by now, right?  Nope.  I've been trying to keep up with the potato bugs and the tomato fungus and the apple maggot flies and the weeds, and I had a hard time finding straw.  But it will all get done.
Banana peppers.
 But I have peppers!  This brave little plant has not one but two lovely banana peppers growing on it.  Have I mentioned how many peppers I planted this year?  I don't have my book in front of me, but I think the grand total was 62.  62 pepper plants.  I started all but 4 (that I bought because I liked the name- "king of the North") myself.  Much more successful than my tomato venture (I started over 60 tomatoes inside, but only 19 are still alive in the garden... but the ones I started are some of the healthiest looking ones, and I learned a lot from the experience... btw, grand total in the tomato patch is 59.  I'm going to have a great time puttin' up this summer.  Don't call me in July or August).
Cabbage and Chives.
 The cabbage (and see the lovely chive flowers?  I love em!) is looking lovely.  Only two have shown any sign of bugs, so I haven't had to treat them yet.  If one more shows bug activity, though, I have some Bt waiting in the wings.
Purple veined Kale- so pretty!
 My Kale- isn't it pretty?  I love the contrast of purple on green.  I need to pick some before it bolts.
My peas are late, but the pods are finally starting to fill out.
One beautiful sugar snap pea pod.  I won't have much to harvest this year, but the plants are pretty.  In the future I either need to plant way more peas OR skip the peas all together and buy them at the farmer's market.
Kids in the garden.
 My garden isn't the only thing growing fast...
 I took the garden picture in two shots this time so you can get a little more detail.

I'm really excited to see how much food this lovely plot produces for us, and hoping it can get us through a good part of the winter.  I keep going back and forth about whether or not I want to expand for next year after all the work I put in this year.

How's your garden?

And don't forget to check out the Barn Hop at Homestead Revival.

1 comment:

PaulaB52 said...

Wow, that is a huge garden!

Our rooster just began crowing. Unlike you, I don't really care what my neighbors think. They just moved in and I warned them ahead of time their bedroom was close to the coop and I kept a rooster. They chose to rent, so I'd better not hear complaints! Either way, our roosters don't usually last long with us as for whatever reason, all of our roos HATE my son. We end up putting them in the pot because they'll spur him.

Good luck w/your garden!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...