Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

7.01.2011

My Kitchen Essentials: Cambros

I regularly use a few things in my own kitchen that maybe aren't found in most homes.  So that you, too, can benefit from these magical devices (although most aren't really devices) I am going to feature a few of them over the course of the next few weeks.

Up first is the Cambro.

First of all, Cambro is actually a brand name, and over my years (too many years...) of working in food service we called a few things a Cambro, most notably the item I'm talking about today and tiny plastic sauce dishes for condiments like ketchup.  Furthermore, the ones I use aren't made by Cambro, they're made by Rubbermaid.  But I still call them Cambros.

Here is what I'm talking about:


It's a large, square plastic container with a lid.  We all know I don't love plastic, but I overlook that flaw on these items because they are so utterly useful otherwise, and because they are BPA free.  They are square and not unreasonably tall so, providing you have enough room in your fridge, they fit on a standard refrigerator shelf.  I use them for bread dough, grinding and sifting flour, brining or thawing whole chickens or other large pieces of meat, and other various tasks that require a larger than standard kitchen container.  They are far more convenient than round bowls or containers because square containers are far more space efficient, so despite their size they take up less space in my cupboard or fridge, and if you have multiple they stack nicely.  They would also work for holding large amounts of beverages, sauces, salads, vegetables (nice at canning/preserving time for prep work, esp because if you get interrupted you can quickly lid them and throw them in the fridge).  If you're not squeamish about fermenting in plastic (as I am) you could even ferment in these.

I got mine at Sam's club.  If you live close to a restaurant supply store that admits the general public that would be another place to look.  If you strike out you can always order them online- I got a round one (which I don't use nearly as much, because it's round) from King Arthur Flour.

And while you're at it, check out the other links at Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop.

3 comments:

Candace said...

I love the new look!!!!!! You have inspired me to probe around on my own blog! Great picture!!

Tracey Davis said...

Love my cambros. Use them for everything from bread dough to laundry soap. Glad to have stumbled onto your blog.

http://chaospatrol.blogspot.com

Charenn29 said...

great post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...