Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

7.05.2011

Recipe: Cabbage Rolls

I first received this recipe in my box of organic produce from my buying club in California.  It accompanied a pile of cabbage leaves- not like the heads of cabbage I was familiar with, these were thinner and more delicate.  I believe they were the outer leaves.  So this week I am doing an experiment- I am going to harvest some of the outer leaves of my cabbage plants and see what happens (and I really hope that what happens is not widespread cabbage death, because I need to make sauerkraut!)... and I am going to use them to make these amazing cabbage rolls.  You can, of course, use any regular cabbage leaves instead.

Cabbage Rolls
Ingredients:
  • 12 cabbage leaves
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cup tomato sauce, divided
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • l lb ground beef
  • 1 cup leftover (cooked) soaked brown rice
  • 1 T. natural sweetener of choice (optional)
  • 1 T. lemon juice
  • 1 T. Worchestershire sauce
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and blanch cabbage leaves for 3 minutes or until limp.  Remove from water and drain.

Combine egg, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, onion, salt, pepper, ground beef, and rice.  Place roughly 1/4 cup meat mixture in the center of one leaf and fold in the sides to create a little packet.  Place each roll in the bottom of a crock pot or large heavy pan.  Repeat with remaining leaves.

Combine remaining tomato sauce, optional sweetener, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce and pour over the cabbage rolls.  In crock pot, cook on low for 7 hours.  In the oven, cook at 375 for 1 hour or until the centers of the rolls read 170 on an instant read thermometer.

Enjoy!

Looking for more real food recipes?  Check out Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop!

2 comments:

Amateur Cook said...

 I wonder what you thought of them. I adore eating cabbage rolls and have tried many variations.  ツ

Brandislee said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE cabbage rolls... which is weird, because they are essentially meatloaf wrapped in a cabbage leaf, and meatloaf is not one of my favorite foods.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...