Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

8.01.2011

Leftovers for Breakfast

What is more frugal than using your leftovers?  I hate wasting anything, which is one of the driving forces behind some of my practices such as keeping veggie scraps for my stock and saving bacon fat or the juice from a roast- why throw away things that are still full of flavor?  Another way to stretch your grocery budget is to find creative ways to use your leftovers, and this breakfast recipe, which I adapted from a recipe in Stephanie O'Dea's More Make it Fast, Cook it Slow.  And it couldn't be easier- throw ingredients in the crock pot, cook overnight on low, wake up and eat.  It's my husband's favorite breakfast simply because, well, he doesn't usually get fresh breakfast.  I'm a bad wife and don't wake up at 5am to cook breakfast for my husband, so when he can wake up and scoop a nice hot breakfast out of the crock pot he's pretty happy.



Leftovers for Breakfast- my real food version

Ingredients:
  • 2 T. Butter
  • leftover potatoes- I usually use 3 or 4 baked.  I've put raw in as well, as there is plenty of time for them to cook.
  • leftover veggies, about 2 cups- anything would work; sauteed zucchini, broccoli, green beans, peas, spinach or other greens... whatever you have leftover.  Or if you're short on leftover veggies, you could dice up a pepper and an onion (I would add an onion either way...).
  • leftover meat, around 2 cups (I usually use a little less)- I've done leftover bacon, steak, and pork chops.  I've also done it with raw bacon and raw sausage (again, there is plenty of cooking time for it to get done).
  • 1 cup shredded cheese (whatever kind you have/want)
  • 6-8 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
Turn your crock pot on low and place the butter in the crock.  Dice up your potatoes (small if you're using raw) and place in an even layer in the bottom.  Mix the veggies, meat, and cheese together and pour over the potatoes.  Beat the eggs and the milk together and pour over the whole thing.  Put the lid on and cook overnight.

That's it!  Easy peasy breakfast casserole.  Most often we have this on Monday morning to use up the weekend's leftovers.

It is best to do this RIGHT before you go to bed so it doesn't cook any longer than it has to.  I also have my husband turn it "keep warm" when he wakes up.

If you appreciate this recipe, check out Stephanie's books or her website.  She may not be 100% on the same page as me when it comes to food philosophy, but I believe that she has a lot to contribute, especially when it comes to saving time and money in the kitchen.  And speaking of saving money- check out the $5 Dinner Challenge and the Pennywise platter for more affordable recipes.

And for more real food recipes, check out Real Food Wednesday from Kelly the Kitchen Kop.

1 comment:

Eddel29 said...

thanks for sharing this blog to others.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...