Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

8.23.2011

Make it Yourself Monday (a little late): Apple Cider Vinegar

It's been a crazy day week summer, and I forgot it was Monday... I mentioned in my last post I have a lot on my to do list... I have also started going to the chiropractor three times a week, a decision I'm not 100% at peace with yet.  So besides three mornings a week being GONE I'm also anxious about whether or not it's a waste of time and money.  I've been a very busy ball of nerves.  It's making me cranky.


Oh, and have I mentioned that anxiety kills any and all motivation?

But today I sucked it up.  I figured at the best getting something accomplished might be what I needed to get out of my funk, and at the worst I'd, well, have gotten something done.  So I canned it out (that's a joke for those of you who watch Grey's Anatomy... get it?).

And boy howdy did I can it out.
Pineapple Zucchini, tomatoes, pizza sauce, and tomato juice.
 ... and I feel a little better.  Next I would love to find something to do with the big bowl or garden peaches I have.  They're not actually peaches, they're an heirloom variety of tomato, and they are so pretty I haven't been canning them.  I want to figure out a way to capitalize on their beauty.  Any suggestions?
Garden Peaches and Ripe Romas.
Anyway.... back to the vinegar.  Easy Peasy.

Apple Cider Vinegar
  • One part raw apple cider vinegar
  • Two parts unpasteurized or frozen reconstituted apple juice/cider.
In a large jar or glass bowl mix the vinegar with the juice.  Cover tightly with a cloth (I secure it with a rubber band) and set it in a cool dark place.  That's it.

Seriously.

The catch- it's not a fast ferment.  I would give it a month at least, then you can start tasting it (I don't hate ACV- I wouldn't want to chug the stuff, but I can tolerate a spoonful) or testing it with PH paper to see if it is sufficiently acidic.  When it is vinegar pour into a bottle or jar and seal.  Store at room temperature.

ACV will form a mother on the surface not unlike kombucha.  For your next batch, reserve a portion of the finished ACV and add it along with the mother to a new batch of juice.  The mother will speed things up a little.

What do I use ACV for?  I've mentioned that I love vinegar.  Remember the guy in My Big Fat Greek Wedding who had a thing for Windex?  That's me with vinegar.  I use ACV in my bug spray, as a toner spray, to rinse my hair (and my kids' hair), and in all my animals' water (as needed, not all the time).  I should drink it every day, but much like kombucha I am terrible about remembering.  However, the second I get a sore throat, sinus pressure, congestion, or any other sign of a cold or upper respiratory thing, I take a honey coated spoon full of ACV every hour until I go to bed.  I almost always wake up feeling fine. 

4 comments:

Cait said...

Tomato juice. Best used in bloody marys. At 2pm on a Wednesday.

Brandislee said...

Super like:) That was exactly my intention!

PrecioustoHim said...

Can I use a kombucha mother and acv to make this?

Brandislee said...

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner! Just in case you're still wondering (or someone else reads this), no you can't use a kombucha mother. Kombucha cultures require caffeine and table sugar (sucrose) to grow. ACV is made from apple juice (mostly fructose) and obviously lacks caffeine. BUT you only need a little raw ACV to make this, you don't really need to find a mother or anything, since raw unfiltered ACV will have little bits of "mother" in it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...