Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

8.06.2011

Preparing for battle...

Er, I mean school.
Izzy and her BFF on their first day of preschool... things were so much simpler then!

I know, it absolutely terrible that my children haven't even started school yet and I am already viewing it as a battle.  But I don't mean the battle to get up and get ready in the morning, the battle to get homework done, or the battle to put the backpack where the backpack belongs.  I mean the battle(s) with the school.  I try not to be a pessimist, but I also think it's best to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.  So I'm preparing.



What could I possibly have a problem with?  The list is longer than it should be.  You know, if you read this blog regularly, that I can be a little nutty about things- what mom isn't a little nutty about her kids?

One that I'm really gearing up for is the use of both alcohol based hand sanitizer and antibacterial soap.  I'm prepared to go to battle on the soap, particularly, as it's not like I can send Izzy to school with her own soap.  I've got a letter drafted and information from both the CDC and Minnesota Department of Health that back me up.  So far as hand sanitizer goes, I'm willing to compromise.  As long as that compromise involves Izzy keeping her own bottle of alcohol free hand sanitizer in her desk (or wherever).  I'll even buy a bottle of the crappy stuff for the classroom, as long as my daughter doesn't have to use it.  And I know what you're thinking, why not just supply the classroom with a better alternative?  Well, first of all what good would it do with the other 20 kids' parents send the bad stuff.  Also, I can't find any that comes in the size of bottle they're asking for (8 oz), I can only find the little purse sized spray bottles.

School supplies are another area I'm willing to go to bat, if necessary.  However, this year it's not that bad.  They did request all name brand items, but they were all on sale at Target, and there were only a few items to buy.  And as a former teacher, I get it.  They plan to pool the supplies, so they need them to all be the same to prevent conflict.

Lunch is freaking me out a little as well.  Obviously Izzy will be taking her lunch.  This particular freak out actually has nothing to do with the school itself.  It has to do with my super picky 4 year old who will only eat like five things.  Nothing with sauce.  Nothing with dip.  The only sandwich she will regularly eat is peanut butter, which I'm assuming will be (rightly) banned from her school.  I normally don't accommodate her pickiness at all when fixing meals- she eats what I prepare, or she doesn't eat.  But I'm having an internal battle about her school lunches- do I fix varied meals regardless of whether she is going to eat it, or do I prepare the few things I know she likes?  Am I setting myself up to fail in the future by only packing things she likes?  I know, I'm totally overthinking this...

And, of course, I'm worried about the awful things that happened to me in grade school happening to her.  I'm worried that she will be the slowest and most uncoordinated person in her class like I was (an unfounded fear, I'm pretty sure she's fast and coordinated for her age).  I'm worried she'll struggle with math and numbers like I did (I'm discalculic... it's a real disorder, I promise!).  I'm worried about the mean kids teasing her about... well, they always find something, don't they.

The only thing I am not worried about is my baby growing up.  As freakin' adorable as toddlers are, I love watching my kids grow up.  The older they get the more fun and interesting they get.  The older they get the EASIER they get.  I know there aren't a lot of moms who agree with me... I'm weird like that:)

5 comments:

Cat J B said...

What's with soap and hand santiser? Is it a school/classroom requirement, does each kid need their own, or does each classroom have their own?

The only thing I had to do in that respect was sign a form for whether or not the teacher could apply sunscreen to my kid. Not. We can supply our own if we want. But, on a nourishing traditions diet, my kids seem to NOT burn, not even my lily-white (takes after me!) 3 yr old. Between the giant sunhat and the knee and elbow length shirt and shorts they wear for school uniform, sunscreen is a bit of a moot point I feel.

As for food, I only pack what I know he will eat. Thankfully, he's ok with several things in each food group, and the school has fresh-fruit-Friday, when a platter or fruit is in a each class and the kids are encouraged to eat it. I figure, it's 5 meals out of a week, a little repetition won't kill him.

Lol, good luck, I think I have a rep at school as a little nutty/crunchy, but I'm fine with that. My kid takes his sandwich in a reusable cloth wrapper, it's very cute and the teacher loves it.

As long as I don't kiss him when he's lining up with his classmates, it's all good.

Jenn the Greenmom said...

Has your picky little miss tried sunflower butter? That one often gets by the anti-nut brigade...I love it, myself...

Brandislee said...

We haven't tried sunflower butter, but I've heard of it. I just don't know where I can buy it, and I HATE having to order anything I consider a pantry staple.

Hand sanitizer was on the school supply list... so I bought it, but I'm going to ask that they not make my child use it. And the hand soap thing is an issue because she has to use the soap in the bathrooms. I don't even know if they use antibacterial soap, there's a possibility that they are progressive and don't. But if they do I'm going to do what I can to change it, because antibacterial soap does far more harm than good and even the CDC and MDH discourage it's use in any setting outside of health care facilities.

Jamie said...

She'll be fine!

I don't blame you for worrying. Hey, what are the alcohol free hand sanitizers made out of?

PS...I think you're clever cleavage tomorrow!...

Brandislee said...

The alcohol free hand sanitizer I use is called Clean Well. The active ingredient in it is thyme oil. I heart it. Clean Well also makes antibacterial soap that utilizes thyme oil as well, although I don't use it because I don't see the need for antibacterial soap in our home.

We can't help but worry, right? Well, in my case I'm more worried about me than I am about Izzy- she'll be fine. I am stuck in a place where I don't want to compromise my values, but I also don't want to be "that mom..." you know???

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...