Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

5.09.2012

Noodles? We don't need no stinkin noodles!

Noodle-less chicken and vegetable soup.

My kids had a cold this week... or some sort of upper respiratory junk. They coughed and had a little snot. So we've been taking it easy and eating lots of soup.



But I have to admit that, up until now, I still used white flour kluski noodles in my chicken soup. I love chicken soup with egg noodles, and there is no suitable substitute that I have been able to find- I'm not okay with throwing even whole wheat pasta in, let alone gluten free or grain free noodles (blech). Since we are grain free this week, though, noodles weren't an option. Besides, since this is the third random croupy cough they have had this winter, I decided we need to back track a little and eliminate their allergy foods, which meant Oliver really couldn't have noodles.

Then it it hit me- why do I need a substitute? What's wrong with chicken and veggie soup? So that's what I made. And it was AMAZING. I even thought ahead and roasted the garlic to make the garlic flavor more smooth.

Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Serves 4-6
  • 1.5-2 quarts chicken stock (please use homemade if someone is sick... and even if they're not!)
  • 3 stalks of celery, chopped
  • 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced thin
  • 1/ 2 bag frozen green beans, thawed (I just ran warm water over them in a colander)
  • 4 cloves garlic, preferably roasted (to roast garlic cut off garlic top, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil, and roast at 350 for about 30 minutes).  You don't have to roast it, but the garlic flavor will be a lot stronger.
  • 2 tsp dried thyme OR a small bunch of fresh thyme- just drop the whole bunch in and fish out the stems when the soup is finished
  • 2 cooked, cut up chicken breasts (I used the meat I cut off a roast chicken, you could cook the meat in the pan and then deglaze with the stock for extra flavor)
  • Splash of apple cider vinegar
Put stock in pan.  Add vegetables.  Whisk in garlic and thyme.  Simmer until veggies are tender (about 30-40 minutes).  Stir in chicken.  Add a splash of vinegar before serving.

Easy peasy!

And Oliver ate three bowls in one setting.

Yep, he's in his jammies.  I was home with two sick kids, it's what we do.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...