Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

6.05.2012

Flower Jellies

A wild violet growing near my front porch.

I have been meaning to write this post for over a month now, but spring is busy (I may have mentioned that a few times before!).


Last spring I wanted to try making flower jelly, but by the time I had the time to get it together the spring flowers were done.  So this spring I jumped right on it the second the dandelions and wild violets began to bloom.

I have to say I didn't even follow through with my first batch of dandelion jelly.  I made the tea, the first step, and it was brownish and smelled of weeds, so I dumped it.  I will likely try it again, though, as a neighbor recently told me that good dandelion jelly tastes a good deal like honey and showed me a jar of hers.

The wild violet, on the other hand, was amazing.
I love the vibrant pink of this jelly, but beware- it fades significantly if left in the sun.  Because during my research I discovered that violet provides good color and flavor but lacks fragrance, while lilac provides excellent fragrance with poor coloring, I decided to combine the two.  I still need to determine if I loose flavor nuances due to the combination, but overall I'm very pleased with how it turns out- a brilliantly pink jelly with fantastic fragrance and flavor.

Wild Violet and Lilac Jelly
Makes about 4-5 half pints

Ingredients: 
  • 2 cups mixed wild violet and lilac petals with all leaves and stems and flower bases removed... ONLY PETALS
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 1 3oz packet of Certo Pectin
Directions:

Pour boiling water over petals in a glass or ceramic bowl and cover.  Allow mixture to steep until cooled completely- I usually left mine overnight and strained it in the morning.  At this point you can move on to make the jelly, or mix in the lemon juice and store in the refridgerator up to 48 hours.  Adding the lemon juice is the coolest part- the mixture goes from a brackish purple to bright magenta.  Actually, if you want to have a purple jelly instead of pink you could use less lemon juice, as the reaction with the acid is what causes the color change.  I've made purple simple syrup by using only 1 tsp. of lemon juice- experiment until you get what you want.  Because of the amount of sugar the high acid isn't necessary for food safety, although I feel it does enhance the flavor of the finished product.

To make the jelly, first prepare and heat your jars and lids (friendly reminder!), then mix the flower "tea," lemon juice (if not already added), and sugar in a 3 quart saucepan or larger.  Heat to a full rolling boil (a boil that can not be stirred out) then add the pectin, return to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes, skimming any foam that appears on top.  Immediately ladle into prepared jars, wipe rims, and lid.  Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.  (More on basic canning technique HERE... the actual process of canning is the same as with tomatoes, just the recipe and processing times differ).

I've tasted it (only on a spoon... I'm not big on jelly-ing my baked goods) and my daughter has eaten it a few times for breakfast, and all reviews have been positive.  Most of the jars I made will be given away, though- many of them as favors at my sister's wedding in November.

Check out more recipes for preserving food at Laura Williams' Home Preserving Carnival.


Laura Williams' Musings

1 comment:

Laura @ Laura Williams Musings said...

I love this! Thank you for linking itup at the Carnival of Home Preserving! Come back Friday for a new edition.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...