Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

7.28.2012

Real Frozen Peanut Butter Pie

I made the mistake of reading this post from Beyond the Peel on an empty stomach the other night.

So of course I had to make a real food version of the junkie fake food version.
Real food frozen peanut butter pie... mmmmm.
Let's just say that I echo her sentiment.  But I have to emphasize one part- I.  Hate.  Cool Whip.  It is an affront on food and joy and life in general.  It should be consumed by no one.  Long before I became knowledgeable about food or even cared about being healthy in general (ie when I was a teenager) I still refused to touch Cool Whip.  It is disgusting and scary.

Needless to say, no hydrogenated oil whip in this recipe... only real cream, organic (FULL FAT!) cream cheese, and other real foods.

Real Frozen Peanut Butter Pie

Ingredients:
  • 10 graham crackers (I used organic, you could also sub any cookie type crust that fits your diet/lifestyle)
  • 1 T. butter
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 2/3 cup natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth, your choice!)
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla (divided)
  • 5 T. sweetener of choice (divided)
  • 4 oz (half a block) organic cultured cream cheese
  • 16 oz. carton good whipping cream (divided)
  •  Chopped nuts (I used cashews, I felt like being fancy)
  • Shaved/chopped dark chocolate, about 1.5 ounces or to taste
Preheat oven to 350.

Crush up graham crackers and combine with egg.  Butter bottom of pie pan and spread graham cracker mixture evenly over bottom.  Bake for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool.

While crust is cooking, beat 1 cup of the cream  until it begins to form stiff peaks- don't overmix, it will turn to butter!

In another bowl, mix the milk, peanut butter, 4 T. of sugar, and 1 tsp of vanilla with a wisk until well blended.  Using a mixer, beat cream cheese until fluffy, then beat in peanut butter mixture.  At this point I added about 1 oz of chopped dark chocolate and some chopped nuts, but that is optional.

When your crust is cool carefully fold the whipped cream with the peanut butter mixture until well combined, then spread over the crust.  Cover and freeze overnight or until firm.

Remove from freezer at least 20 minutes before serving.  To garnish, whip the remaining cream with 1 T. of sugar and remaing 1/2 tsp of vanilla until you've made whipped cream again.  Pipe or spread on the whipped cream, then sprinkle with remaining shaved chocolate and chopped nuts.  Once the pie is thawed enough to cut, slice and serve.  I recommend slicing them small- at least 10 slices to a standard sized pie.

I know... even I, who loves and sees the value in fat, had a momentary "how much fat is in that!" reaction.  But it doesn't matter, and you know why?  Here's why:
  • You still won't be able to eat a whole slice, because it's so much more satisfying than the fake food version.  On the other hand, has anyone else eaten half of the fake version (or something similar?).  I know I have.
  • No matter what your nutritional credo is, this isn't everyday fare.
  • While this is higher in fat, it's lower in sugar.  
  • Especially if you use grass fed cream and raw milk there is actual, real nutrition going on in this pie- a slice will do more than satisfy your sweet tooth.  You'll also get a good dose of vitamins D and A, folate, and whole host of other beneficial nutrients.
Hope you enjoy... I know I did!

This post has been shared at Food Renegade's Fight Back Friday, Beyond the Peel's Keep It Real Thursday, Homestead Revival's Barn Hop, Real Food Forager's Fat Tuesday, and GNOWFGLINS Simple Lives Thursday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I would mention that you may wish to spell "thrify" in your name "thrifty". Accidents happen (smile)

Abbi said...

Oh that looks so yummy! We love a good peanut butter pie around here though I generally only make it at Thanksgiving time and we just have it chilled not frozen. However I love the idea of it frozen and it sounds like a wonderful hot summer treat- besides the fact that last Thanksgiving some people had stomach aches because they ate a huge meal and then tried to eat a slice of pie on top of that and it was simply too much!

I so agree with you on using real whipping cream instead of cool whip. I used to like whipped cream but realy whipped cream is SO much better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...