Most common illnesses are related in one way- they involve either inflammation and/or fever. While the root cause of the illness should be investigated (low immune function, stress, lack of sleep, food allergy, etc) the following herbals can be given to help alleviate the symptoms.
Fevers, Headaches, and Inflamation:
- Meadowsweet tincture- meadowsweet is an effective anti-inflammatory and contains salicytes, which the body converts to asprin. It can be used for arthritis, inflammatory pain, and headaches.
- Feverfew tincture- believe it or not, it's not that helpful for fevers. Most useful for treating headaches, particularly tension headaches and migraines. It is most effective as a preventative of headaches as opposed to a treatment.
- Catnip tincture- also good for fever, and it promotes relaxation which can help .
- Yarrow tincture- encourages sweating, which can relieve a fever. I'm not going to cover this category seperately, so it's also worth noting that yarrow is great for reducing heavy periods and cramping.
- Skullcap- I use this one if the meadowsweet doesn't seem to be helping.