Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

1.26.2013

Down With Soap!

I'm not joking.  This isn't a shocking title meant to attract your attention at it's sheer shockingness, I'm totally serious.  I'm done with soap.

Okay, maybe not all soap.  Not dish soap or hand soap.  Or laundry soap.  But that's it.  I am no longer soaping my body (obviously my hands don't count...).

It all started with my face.  I stopped using official facial cleanser years ago, but I was still occasionally soaping up with a good quality bar soap or with some Dr. Bronner's.  Then, several months ago, I finally decided to see what all the fuss was about oil cleansing.


And I have to say, I wasn't sold right away.  I mixed up a liquid oil cleanser and used it a few times, and it just made me feel oily.  Then I had a kind of epiphany- why not make a semi-solid oil cleanser?  I know that both palm and coconut oil are fantastic for the skin, and after experimenting I found the perfect mix of coconut, palm, and castor oil, along with some essential oils, and my skin has never been happier (it's in my shop, it's the Wildly Good Cold Cream, and it is easily my favorite product).  Now, I don't know if I happened to change to the cold cream right at the time when my oily period was ending (because your skin needs time to adjust when you switch to oil cleansing and it's normal to feel oily for a while), or if the change made the difference.  I just know my skin is happy, and it's smoother and clearer than it has been since I was 10.

Then, a few showers ago, I had another wave of brilliance... or rather I had it after the shower.  I was getting dressed for bed and I put on a nice, cozy pair of fleece pants.  But you know how your legs get post shower in the winter if you neglect to moisturize, right?  Dry.  Tight.  Tingly.  And very staticy when the go anywhere near fleece.  It's a really uncomforable feeling, and lotion (even coconut oil!) doesn't always help. 

So I was sitting there with my dry, tight, staticy legs when it hit me- if oil cleansing is so good for my face, why the heck wouldn't it be good for my whole body?  The next time I took a shower I blended a few oils together that I felt matched my skin type and tried them out.

Oh.  My.  Goodness.  In the shower, other than being a little slippery and slimy, things felt pretty much the same.  I rubbed the blended oil all over, let it sit for a few minutes, then wiped it off with a wash cloth.  Pretty much like I do when I oil cleanse my face.  No more work really than soaping off.  When I got out of the shower I toweled off gently, then went to get dressed.  As I slid into some fleece pants I began to feel a different sensation on my legs.  For lack of a better description, my legs felt like they had been deadly thirst and had just taken a big, long drink of water.  They felt the way my skin often feels in spring when the humidity finally returns to the air.  Not oily or greasy at all, only smooth, soft, hydrated, and happy.

But that's not all.  I've also been trying out cleansing conditioners.  I know, that sounds a lot like the same thing as a conditioning shampoo, but it really isn't.  Conditioning shampoos are normal, sudsing shampoos that deposit a little bit of conditioner on your hair when you rinse them off.  Cleansing conditioners are a horse of a different color.  It's kind of like oil cleansing for your hair, only it's not exactly oil.  There are no suds, it's almost like massaging a really thick lotion into your hair, then rinsing it out.  I'm using this version from TheSoapOperaSoaps on Etsy.  The product isn't as simple as facial oil cleansers- there are a few more ingredients, and more of them have scary chemical names, but not to worry.  It's simply a longer list of ingredients, and some of them ARE chemical derivatives, but I looked up every single ingredient on EWG's Skin Deep Database and two near the very end of the list of ingredients scored 2 (it's a 0-10 scale, with 0 being the safest and 10 being toxic sludge that should be nowhere near anyone) while the rest of the ingredients scored 1's or 0's.  I'm pretty happy with that.  I've only tried it once, though, and it made my hair a little greasy.  But I can only assume that, like oil cleansing, it has an adjustment period, so I'm going to give it a few weeks.

Do you think you could get through an entire shower with no suds?

This post has been shared at Food Renegade's Fight Back Friday and New Life on a Homestead's Monday Barn Hop

1 comment:

bohohippiemom said...

I don't know if I could. I live in hot, humid, sticky South Florida and if we don't shower 1-2 times a day in the summer, we reek! LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...