Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

2.25.2013

Easy soaked grain and/or gluten free waffles and pancakes

I LOVE this waffle recipe.  As long as you can remember to blend them up the night before they are so super simple to make, and there are so many possible combinations that just about anyone can eat them, even if you're eating paleo! 

There are nearly infinite possible combinations of grains.  When I first made these I used brown rice.  It was okay.  Then I tried it with whole oats and it was very good, so that's how I made them for a long time.



But for the past few weeks we've been sticking to a rotation diet, where we rotate our meats and grains in an effort to have a more varied diet and avoid developing new allergies (now that we're healed from the old ones).  Previous to this new diet we had been eating a pretty steady rotation of oatmeal, toast, sourdough pancakes, and oat waffles.  See the problem?  Oats, wheat, wheat, oats.  Not a very effective rotation.  Thankfully I already have the recipes and most of the raw ingredients to incorporate the more varied breakfasts- but if that's so, then I why wasn't I doing it before?  My kids.  While I refuse to cater to picky eaters, there are two instances where I would rather give them something they will eat than present them with something that is either new or that I know they don't like/won't try- breakfast, and sack lunch.  Breakfast is such an important meal, it sets the tone for the whole day and provides the base of a child's energy.  The things we previously ate were chosen because they were the best of the pool of breakfast foods that my children will eat (well, that and bacon or sausage, which we have about once a week).

Izzy won't eat eggs.  They say they like custard, but then only eat a few bites.  Same with smoothies.  They won't eat these orange vegetable pancakes that I love, and will only eat these 3 ingredient banana pancakes if I put some chocolate chips in them (which I have no problem doing when I use soy free Enjoy Life chocolate chips).  Izzy's aversion to eggs in anything that she recognizes them in excludes breakfast pizza, baked egg cups, fritatta, omelets, and so many other delicious breakfast ideas.

My solution is to involve her in the process.  She is aware of the rotation diet and what it entails, so when a grain free day pops up I always ask her what she wants and give her some choices.  The last time she chose custard "as long as we can have jelly on it."  And today she nearly finished her banana pancakes (with chocolate chips, of course), but she did say "do we always have to have pancakes?"  Lol!  Part of her reaction is because I know so many different pancake recipes, it's easy to make pancakes every day without repeating the ingredients!

We also love waffles, but I had a little bit of a kerfuffle with my waffle iron recently.  The last time I wanted to make waffles I got the iron out and plugged it in so it would warm up while I mixed up the batter.  As I prepared the batter (which doesn't take much, but I was doing other things as I waited for the iron to warm up) I noticed a very pungent smell.  It smelled a lot like, well, my lab's farts, so I thought he was just having some digestive issues.  Then I went to make my first waffle and discovered the actual reason for the smell...

I had left a waffle in the waffle iron.  It was a mess of mush and mold.  And then I had heated it.  :::Vomit:::  I tried to clean it, I assure you- I scrubbed it good, then made the first waffle intending to throw it away with the final traces of mold and blech.  But that first waffle stuck like mad, and by that point (have I ever mentioned I'm not a morning person?) I had had it and the iron went in the trash.  I was so perturbed (and by this time running late) I almost just trashed the batter and served the kids toast, but instead I got the griddle out to make pancakes.  While I knew the original recipe states you can make pancakes, I hadn't tried it yet.  They turned out pretty amazing.

I would serve these pancakes to the most skeptical SAD-following people.  As I cooked them I was impressed with the color and the fluffiness, and when the kids started eating them I knew we had a winner- they stated "they're almost like the pancakes Grandma makes at the lake!" (which are pancakes from a mix...).  I have to agree, the texture is just a tad grainier than typical mix pancakes, but the flavor is similar only with more, well, flavor!  In the following recipe I include the grain mixture I used for these particular pancakes, but after I will list other possible variations.

Gluten Free Soaked Pancakes
makes about 12
  • 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
  • 2 T. olive or coconut oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup white rice
  • 1/3 cup buckwheat*
  • 1/2 cup quinoa**
The night before: In a blender, combine all of the above ingredients EXCEPT FOR the quinoa.  Blend for about 3 minutes.  By the end of the the 3 minutes you should see a vortex (like a tornado) in the blender- if not, add more buttermilk.

Put the quinoa in a strainer and rinse under running water for at least 2 minutes.  Then place quinoa in a bowl covered with fresh water and allow to soak overnight.

Then next morning: Heat your griddle, skillet, or iron.  Rinse the quinoa in a strainer under running water for another minute or so, then dump into the blender, along with-
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp. aluminum free baking powder***
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
Blend the mixture for a minute or so until well mixed, and assure that a vortex forms again- if not, add more buttermilk.

Oil your cooking surface lightly with butter, ghee, or coconut oil and pour on batter.  These cook a little quicker than normal, so keep an eye on them.  For pancakes, flip when the edges are just set.

Serve with melted butter/ghee and real maple syrup.

*If subbing another grain for buckwheat, use 1/2 a cup instead of 1/3.  The total amount of grain, if not using buckwheat, should be 1 1/2 cups.  The total if using buckwheat alone is 1 cup.  Do the math accordingly for intermediate amounts (because Math is fun!)  :)

**If subbing another grain for quinoa, skip the soaking and simply add to the blender.  So far as I know quinoa is the only seed/grain that requires this treatment.

***Based on the acid content of the buttermilk I don't see why you couldn't just use 2 tsp of baking soda (total) and skip the baking powder.  However, I haven't tried it, so I don't know how it would go.

Grain/Seed Variations- Use any combination of the following:
  • kamut or spelt (no longer gluten free, though) 
  • barley (ditto on the gluten)
  • brown rice
  • millet
  • flax, chia, or hemp seeds- I personally wouldn't use ALL seeds, but if you're grain free it may be fruitful to try a combination of the 3, or try them along with quinoa or buckwheat (depending on your dietary restrictions, but both are technically seeds).  But a little bit might be a nice and healthful addition to other grains.
  • quinoa- I know this is listed in the original recipe, but if you want to use all quinoa it helps to know that the batter will be very thin. 
  • amaranth
  • teff
Enjoy!

This post has been shared at New Life on a Homestead's Monday Barn Hop

4 comments:

Nadia said...

Hi, so if I understand it correctly you just use the grains instead of the flour from these grains, right? And the soaking happens overnight while it sits in the buttermilk (and the quinoa soaks in water)? Also,last question, do you keep in out on the counter it in the fridge (just worried about the buttermilk staying out)?

Brandislee said...

Yes, you use the grains themselves, not the flours. The conversion, if you were to use the flour, is not a 1:1 replacement. I believe 1 cup of flour = 3/4 cups of grain.

And yes, the soaking happens overnight. You blend the WHOLE grains into the buttermilk in the blender, which more or less turns them into flour, but it saves you the step of grinding them (or the expense of buying them, often the whole grains are cheaper if you can find them in bulk, plus they store better).

Lastly, yes, it sits on the counter overnight right there in the blender. You wouldn't want to leave regular pasteurized milk out on the counter overnight (raw is another story...), but cultured milk products like buttermilk, yogurt, and kefir are fine- in fact that is how they are made! The lactic acid and the beneficial bacteria actually protect the milk from becoming infected with harmful bacteria, much like they do in your gut.

I really hope you try this recipe!

the other Sherry said...

I tried using 2 teaspoons of baking soda and it was too much, gave it a soda-y taste. Using only 1 teaspoon baking soda instead of the soda and baking powder works very well, though.

Thanks for this recipe; I love the simplicity and flexibility of it.

Kathleen Campos said...

These were great! My kids loved them as did I. Very filling. Mine were pretty thin, but I think my baking powder is old. But no matter-the kids loved them. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...