Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

3.26.2013

Stuff I Need to Get Off My Chest

I haven't been able to blog for a while because I've been having computer issues (well, there was also Spring Break...).  So I've got things (bad word, but I can't come up with a better one) that I need to get off my chest.  It made me realize how important semi-frequent blogging is, because sometimes I just need to shout these things, and if I stand in the streets and shout "stop eating canola oil!!" I would probably be locked up post haste.

So, since these thoughts have been building up, I'm just going to list.  Bear with me.  I'm not really in the mood to mince words.
  • Please check out the Healthy Life Summit- it's streaming free for the rest of this week.  I'm serious- ignorance is not bliss.  Ignorance and complacency and the social norm is going to result in a generation of children who, for the first time in recent history, are sicker than their parents.  It is going to result in even more widespread infertility.  There are one or two things (okay, more, but I stole that from a memoir I love) that I know for sure, and one is that I want my kids to be able to reproduce.
  • Real food tastes good.  Real food usually tastes better than fake or industrial food.  If you don't think so, you are most assuredly addicted to industrial food.  Think about it.  White bread, industrial meat, jarred sauces and bottled salad dressing are full of addictive sugars and refined seed oils.  Suck it up for your health and the health of your children and make better choices for now and you will break that addiction, and your tastes will change.
  • Cholesterol and fat aren't bad.  This has been proven scientifically.  Catch up.
  • Illness.  Where to start...  We do get sick, despite our traditional whole foods diet... although it seems minor illnesses were more widespread and serious this year, and we only had a few ear infections (Izzy), Fifth Disease (Izzy also), and a very short cold-with-fever (Oliver) and none of that serious flu, noro virus, whooping cough, etc nonsense that has been flying around.  Izzy obviously gets sick the most, but this makes sense- she was nearly three years old before I transitioned from the Standard American Diet.  She has more damage that needs to be reversed.  But no matter how sick she gets, I still rely as much as reasonable on aromatherapy, herbs, food medicine, and rest instead of turning to antibiotics and steroids and whatever else the doctors want to throw at me.  Besides the other myriad problems with drugs, THEY MAKE YOU GET SICK MORE OFTEN.  You may be thinking "I just want me/my kid to get better," but how is it helpful to take drugs that are going to make you sick MORE???  Suffering through a few illnesses a year is going to make your immune system stronger and you will actually be sick less.  And don't even get my started on invasive surgeries like ear tubes and tonsillectomy.
  • There is more to health than just food, believe it or not.  You could be eating the most perfect traditional whole foods diet- low/no grain, lots of organic vegetables, fatty cuts of meat, bone broth daily, liver weekly, pastured butter and eggs, raw milk, and cod liver oil and still not be healthy if you're not getting enough quality sleep, or if you are under too much stress.  Prioritizing sleep, using good sleep practices (no light, no TV in the bedroom, no electronic device use before bedtime, etc), and managing your stress are equally as important as diet in maintaining good health.
  • You don't need to exercise.  You heard me right.  Most exercise is super stressful on the body and actually causes more harm than good (I've read convincing research that shows long sustained cardio breaks down the immune system and can eventually cause auto immune diseases, and this jives with my anecdotal experience).  HOWEVER you do need to move.  While exercising is not going to make you healthy, being sedentary is definitely going to make you sick.  Blowing your mind?  What I'm saying is don't sit for long periods of time.  Get up and do something.  The more you do this, the healthier you'll be and the better you'll feel.
  • Chew on this for a moment- The diet industry makes over 60 billion dollars a year.  Obesity related health problems alone cost us 150 billion dollars a year.  We spend over 500 BILLION dollars a year on drugs.  And I couldn't even find a good figure stating how much we spend yearly on processed food, but it is high.  Our government (who benefits greatly from the taxes on these expenditures and contributions from the companies and those associated with these companies) and the major industries in this country have ABSOLUTELY NO INVESTMENT in your health- in fact they have a pretty huge investment in you being sick and staying sick.  The next time you think "but the FDA says..." or "but the USDA says..." think about that.
Ugh.  I know that's a lot.  Hopefully you got through it... okay, you're probably better off if you didn't. But, if on the off chance you did make it through and something I said interests or perplexes you, please let me know and I'll give you as many answers/opinions/resources as I can, or even write a more in depth post on that topic.  In the mean time, I feel better now.  More cohesive posts coming soon, I promise:)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...