Glad to see you! Please click around, ask questions, and make comments- I want to hear from everyone! And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram (as brandislee)!

8.07.2013

Naturally Fermented Cucumber Lime Soda (because the cukes are taking over!)

That's how many I have.  It's kind of out of control.  This past week I've been combing the internet for new recipes that utilize these phallic veggies because my pickle fridge is FULL.  I actually found a few...

Here are a few for fermented cukes beyond your typical crock pickles:
  • Lacto-fermented Bread and Butter Pickles From The Nourished Kitchen's Get Cultured e-course
  • Cucumber Kimchi
  • And I mixed some diced cucumber into some Lacto-fermented salsa.  I used the recipe from the above e course for fire roasted salsa, but this link to the Noursishing Days recipe is good, too.  The only difference is that the tomatoes, onions, and peppers are diced and then roasted in the oven to condense the sugars.
And a few other ideas:
  • Using some cucumber puree in a batch of soap.
  • Infuse some organic vodka with cucumber and lemon peel.
  • Make a jar of these sriracha seasoned refrigerator pickles (but use cucumber spears instead of chard stems).
  • I also pureed a bunch and froze it in zipper bags for future soap, smoothies, and for the following super awesome recipe...

Naturally Fermented Cucumber Lime Soda
  
Ingredients:
  • water kefir grains
  •  about 1 lb cucumber, cut into chunks
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 cups water
  • juice of 2 limes
  • pinch of sea salt
 Directions:

Place the cucumber chunks, sugar, water, lime juice, and sea salt in blender and blend until smooth.  If desired, strain out some or all of the cucumber pulp (I strained out most with a larger mesh strainer, then stirred a few spoonfuls back in).  Place mixture in a quart mason jar and add the kefir grains.  Allow to ferment for 24-48 hours.  For lovely bubbles, strain out your kefir grains (yeah, with the cucumber pulp, this is fun...), bottle in grolsch style bottle, and allow to ferment another 12-24 hours, then refrigerate.

This stuff is AMAZING.  I don't even like cucumbers.  It's light and fresh tasting.  Even my kids (who do love cucumbers...) love it.  So if you find yourself swimming in cukes, try it out!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...